The postmark commemorating 50 years since the construction of the research vessel Mare of the Estonian Maritime Museum will be issued on 5 April. A first day cover and a postal card (maxicard) also come with the stamp. Roman Matkiewicz, artist of the Maritime Museum, designed the set.
‘The stamp being issued now has a symbolic value, as Mare is facing its last season on the sea this spring,’ revealed Urmas Dresen, the director of Estonian Maritime Museum. ‘In the fall, Mare will find its place among other museum ships moored at the quay and will remain open for all visitors.’
Mare, a motorised ship built as a fishing trawler in 1968, is placed under the year 1983 at the Maritime Museum’s exhibition ‘100 years on water. The ships of Estonia 1918-2018’, as that is the year when the museum assigned the ship as a research vessel.
The captain of Mare is maritime archaeologist Vello Mäss (pictured). The most famous wrecks discovered under his leadership are the Russian monitor Rusalka, the passenger ship Vironia, the lightship Hiiumadal, the icebreaker Pjotr Veliki, the motorised schooner Jaen Teär, and many more. Over 1,000 wrecks of ships, planes, historic anchors, and frontloaded cannons are registered in the Wreck Register as a result of Mare’s work.
Six museums in Tallinn established a joint Museum Gate in the cruise terminal to encourage foreign visitors to get to know Estonian culture.
An aquarium at the Seaplane Harbour now hosts the underwater photography exhibition ‘The Underwater World of Shipwrecks’ by Aire Eder. The aquarium exhibits 26 underwater photos of shipwrecks in Estonia, Norway, Cyprus, Croatia, and Egypt.
Enterprise Estonia (EAS) announced supporting the application of the Estonian Maritime Museum for adding a family-centred attraction to the building complex of Fat Margaret.