Suur Tõll icebreaker

The Suur Tõll icebreaker is at the quay of the Seaplane Harbour. This museum ship, Estonia’s oldest and most dignified, is one of the three steam-powered icebreakers from the early 20th century that have been preserved in the Baltic Sea region. The ship was built in 1914 in the German Vulcan-Werke AG shipyard in Poland.

Once among the world’s most powerful icebreakers, the steamer has flown the flags of Imperial Russia, Finland, the Soviet Union and the Republic of Estonia under the names Tsar Mikhail Fyodorovich, Volynets, Wäinämöinen and Suur Tõll.

On board the icebreaker you can visit the stately officers’ mess-room and the captain’s cabin, the crew’s rooms, an exhibition on the history of the icebreaker, the engine and boiler room, and see many more authentic and interesting exhibits!

The exhibition tells the Suur Tõll’s story through all the flags that she has flown over time. The events on board have, in a way, been a reflection of the Estonian state and her pivotal moments in the past century.

Events, seminars and other gatherings can be organised on board the Suur Tõll.
For further information and booking please call +372 6 200 550 (Mon–Fri 9–17) or e-mail booking@meremuuseum.ee

News

The Polar Club is inviting you to the Two Polar Jubilees forum

forum called Two Polar Jubilees to celebrate 125 years from the birth of polar captain Karl Jõgi, and 90 years from the polar expedition of Umberto Nobile and its rescue. The forum is dedicated to Vello Park, President of the Polar Club in 2003–2014, who passed away last week.   A speech will be given […]

30. May

Exhibition on 100 ships of Estonia

The exhibition ‘100 years on water. The ships of Estonia 1918–2018’ was opened in the Seaplane Harbour. It introduces 100 ships that played an important role in the history of Estonia, including sailing ships, steamers, warships, passenger ships, and cargo ships.

20. March

Older articles
Close map

Contact

+372 6200 550 (Mon–Fri 9–17)
info@lennusadam.eu
Vesilennuki tee 6, Tallinn

Open :the museum is open 10.00–19.00 (Mon–Sun)

View map